Brevard Street Library 

Category
African American
Address
Corner of Brevard and E. 2nd St.
Tags
Institution
The Brevard Street Library for Negroes was the first public library that served and was run by African Americans in North Carolina. The Library, which opened in 1905, came into existence simply so Charlotte could justifiably bar people of color entry from the newly opened white-only Carnegie Library. The so-called "colored branch" was administered by a board of African American citizens, including Thad Tate and St. Michael's rector Rev. Primus Alston. No funds were set aside by the city for books or furniture, so funds were raised entirely by the African American community. The Library ceased operation in 1961.


Courtesy of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room – Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.

Please be patient while the contemporary Google Street View loads below:
 
View Larger Map>


Works Cited:

"Sally Phelps and the Brevard Street Library for Negroes." The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story. The Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. 26 Oct. 2010. http://www.cmstory.org/african/album/volume1/work22.htm

Hanchett, Thomas W. Sorting Out the New South City: Race, Class, and Urban Development in Charlotte, 1875-1975. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1998. Print.