Carnegie Library 

Category
White
Address
308-310 N. Tryon St.
Tags
Institution
Andrew Carnegie awarded the city of Charlotte a gift of $25,000 toward the establishment of a public library. It opened in 1903 to white patrons only.

Comparatively, the city set aside a mere $400 for the establishment of a library for blacks only.
The city directory from 1911 refers to the Brevard Street Library as the "colored branch" of the Carnegie Library, though it was in no way affiliated with the whites-only library.

Pictured below is acomparison of the elaborately-constructed Carnegie Library (top) and the handsome, though more modest, Brevard Street Library (bottom).


Courtesy of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room – Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.


Please be patient while the contemporary Google Street View loads below:

View Larger Map


Works Cited:

"Public Library: 1901-." The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story. 28 Nov. 2010. http://www.cmstory.org/exhibit/plcmc/2.htm

"Public Library: 1903-." The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story. 28 Nov. 2010. http://www.cmstory.org/exhibit/plcmc/3.htm

Hanchett, Thomas W. Sorting Out the New South City: Race, Class, and Urban Development in Charlotte, 1875-1975. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1998. Print.