Dr. J. T. Williams 

Category
African American
Address
205 S. Brevard St.
Tags
Residence
John Taylor Williams was perhaps the leading African American in Charlotte during Bearden’s youth. He arrived the Queen City as a schoolteacher, became one of North Carolina’s first black physicians, and helped start Grace AME Zion Church. Elected to city council in 1889 and 1891, he caught the eye of US President William McKinley, who appointed him US Consul to Sierra Leone in Africa. JT Williams Middle School bears his name today.


Courtesy of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room – Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.
Portrait of J. T. Williams



Courtesy of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room – Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.
Looking along Brevard Street, Dr. JT Williams house is at left, the Grace AME Zion Church which he helped found is at the right, and the Mecklenburg Investment Company – an office building which he helped build for black doctors and other professionals – is far right.



Courtesy of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room – Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.


Please be patient while the contemporary Google Street View loads below. The Grace AME Zion Church can be seen by panning to the right. This view is nearly the identical shot as in the old photo!

View Larger Map

Works Cited:

"J. T. Williams and the Williams Home." The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story. The Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. 26 Oct. 2010. http://www.cmstory.org/african/album/volume1/work05.htm and http://www.cmstory.org/african/album/volume1/home16.htm.