Markers

Page 1 of 1. Displaying 1 - 14 out of 14 total items.
  1. William P. Clements, a white businessman, built this signature structure that housed the public relations and district office for NC Mutual Life Insurance Company.
  2. Built originally to serve as the “Mutual Annex,” this address became home to a weekly newspaper, The Durham Reformer and The North Carolina Mutual, a monthly newspaper. B&J Rose Furniture was also on the ground floor.
  3. Right around the corner from Parrish Street, this building was a gathering place for several generations with The White Elephant Club, Church Street Hotel and the Lucky Strike Billiard Parlor.
  4. This was once the site of the Bull City Drug Store Company, Mechanics and Farmers Bank's first office, and later, office spaces for African-American professionals and skilled workers including a barber, tailor, printer, attorneys, physicians and dentists.
  5. Part of the Parrish Street district, this was home to The Whetstone, a NC Mutual Life Insurance newsletter. During the 1950s, the well-known company, Forums, was located here.
  6. One of only three National Historic Landmarks in Durham, this is the most widely photographed symbol of Black Wall Street – the old headquarters of NC Mutual Life Insurance Company.
  7. In the early 1900s, a number of professional practices were located here, including physicians, attorneys and dentists. There was also a barbershop located downstairs.
  8. The caption for this art installation reads: "White Rock Baptist Church, St. Joseph A.M. E. Church, Stanford L. Warren Library, Lincoln Hospital, John Avery Boys and Girls Club, North Carolina College, Durham Public Schools are all connected historically to black businesses on Parrish Street as beneficiaries of leadership, vision, and means."
  9. "In the early decades of the 1900s, Durham acquired national reputation for entrepreneurship. Businesses owned by African Americans lined Parrish Street. Among them were N.C. Mutual Life Insurance Co. (moved to Parrish, 1906), led by John Merrick, Dr. Aaron Moore, & C. C. Spaulding, and Mechanics and Farmers Bank (1907), led by R. B. Fitzgerald and W. G. Pearson."
  10. The caption for this art installation reads: "Through strategic leadership and funding, Black entrepreneurs on Parrish Street were active participants in the founding of the Durham Business and Professional Chain, the Durham Committee on the Affairs of Black People, Black newspapers in Durham and in the election of African Americans to the Durham County Commissioners, Durham City Council, and Durham School Board."
  11. The caption for this art installation reads: "John Merrick's admonition, 'Let us think more of our employment' guided the development of Parrish Street as the center city address of many ambitious bankers, doctors, lawyers, and accountants whose investments in a growing African American community made it possible for barbers and beauticians, pharmacists, nurses, architects, educators and artists to thrive in Durham."
  12. The caption for this art installation reads: "Building upon positive race relations, black leaders John Merrick, J. A. Dodson, R.B. Fitzgerald, J.R. Hawkins, A.M. Moore, W.G. Pearson, J. E. Shepard, C.C. Spaulding, G.W. Stephens, and S.L. Warren created successful business, educational and cultural institutions in Durham."
  13. The caption for this art installation reads: "The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company, Mechanics and Farmers Bank, the Mutual Building and Loan Association and North Carolina College were model financial and educational institutions devoted to entrepreneurship and self-help in Durham."
  14. The caption for this art installation reads: "Named for tobacco tycoon E.J. Parrish and his father, Parrish Street was the site of his expansive 1879 warehouse. Early tobacco entrepreneurs Parrish, James B. Duke, Julian Carr, John Green, and W.T. Blackwell transformed Durham’s business landscape."
<< previous | | next >>